My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Challenge

New Year's Weight Loss Challenge

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Midnight Muffin Madness

Well...it isn't quite midnight, but close enough. And I am baking muffins. Why you mght ask? Well, a food day at work on short notice + muffin mixes in my cupboard= midnight muffins.

I set them on the kitchen counter earlier this evening so that I wouldn't forget. Because I am certainly not going to get up at six am and make muffins. So after Cori was asleep, laundry was washed, Survivor was over, and while I was taking my nice, wonderfully hot bath, reading my adorable Parents magazine, I remembered. "Oh, my muffins."

So, I am waiting for the timer to go off, so that I can get the muffins out of the oven, cool them, and pack them in tupperware to take to work in the morning.

And, of course, baking in my house would not be complete without our super-sensitive smoke detector screaming at nearly midnight while my precious daughter went to sleep only an hour before. And, it isn't like it went off when I was mixing the muffins and the oven was preheating. No, of course not. At that time I would be able to set aside my fork and mixing bowl and fan the ear splitting contraption. That would be too opportune. No, it starts going off when I am pulling my perfectly browned, beautiful muffins out of the oven.

I know you might have been thinking that the muffins were on fire. Sorry to disappoint, but nothing was on fire. Nothing was smoking. Nothing was even smelling burned. So I hurriedly set aside the muffins and took my oven mit and fanned the smoke detector. Cori didn't awake so I was in the clear. One more batch for the oven and I was in the home stretch.

Ring, ring. The last batch just finished. And what do you know, another perfect batch of muffins, and another fire alarm sending me running across the kitche--oven mitt in hand. Gotta love when that happens. Luckily the second alarm of the night didn't alarm Cori and I am able to get those muffins ready for the morning.

Oh, isn't life grand. Midnight muffins and a screaming smoke detector finish up what wasn't too bad of a day. I guess.

No comments: